NEW YORK—The Sisters of Our Lady of Christian Doctrine will celebrate the centennial of their order on June 5 at Madonna House, according to a press release.
The order was founded by Marian Frances Gurney on June 29, 1910, to assist poor immigrants.
In 1924, Marydell motherhouse was opened in Upper Nyack to provide a novitiate, and a safe haven for families from the crowded city, tenements and sweatshops. It became a retreat and conference center called Marydell Faith and Life Center in 1990.
The sisters have ministered to people in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, Ohio, the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Germany.
In the Diocese of Charleston, S.C., the Sisters of Christian Doctrine worked in Our Lady of the Valley Church in Gloverville; Our Lady of Peace Church in North Augusta; St. Mary Church in Rock Hill; and St. Peter Church in Beaufort.
They also served Holy Cross Center and the surrounding parishes and military bases.
During the 1980s and 1990s, one of the sisters was at St. Joseph Church in Charleston; Jesus, Our Risen Savior Church in Spartanburg; St. Peter Church in Columbia; and at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Charleston.